Wednesday, May 30, 2007

infecting the world

Do people not realize the deadly potential of spreading extremely-resistant tuberculosis? Obviously a dumb-ass rhetorical question; a US man has been forcibly quarantined because he failed to follow directions from medical doctors and ignored instructions from the CDC.

Instead of staying put and receiving treatment for the disease, he instead decided to leave the US on a trans-Atlantic flight and travel to Greece and Italy. Because he was placed on a no-fly list that restricts individuals from entering the US, he flew instead to the Czech Republic and then to Canada before crossing the border by car and re-entering the US.

Although the likelihood of infecting others with XDR-TB (extremely drug-resistant TB) are low, the possibility still exists. Rogue, self-centered, thoughtless, inconsiderate sons-of-bitches like this piss me off because they put the entire world at risk. Fuck the rest of the world, I have to get married. Fuck the fact that I am breaking the law, I have to get back home. Fuck the possibility that I could spread a deadly, currently-incurable disease to millions of people and be the source of a pandemic that could take the lives of innocent people, I have my own life to think about. Fuck him.

No comments: