Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Tids and Bits

Generous supporters of Big Brothers Big Sisters were able to raise over $150,000 this year during our most important fundraiser of the year, Bowl for Kids' Sake. I am so pleased to have been a part of it and am proud of our team for caring enough to seek out donations and bowling with me on Sunday. Dave, Brett, Renee, Cami, and Tracey -- you have my admiration and appreciation. You're good people... thank you!

The tomb of King Herod has been found by a Hebrew University Professor. Herod's tomb was found at a site called Herodium in the Judean Desert.

In looking at the website for our local Humane Society, I was amazed at the number of black or black/white dogs that are available for adoption. The proportion of black/white dogs to the entire number of dogs waiting to be adopted is crazy. It's been that way for weeks. Tonight, there were 46 dogs listed; of those, 24 dogs are black or black/white -- 52%! So many black labs are waiting for homes which surprises me because it's always been such a popular breed. Just some interesting (or not) observations.

Attention fellow diabetics! A Hong Kong company has invented a new method to test blood glucose levels without having to prick your finger. Apparently, the invention uses near-infrared rays that penetrate your skin and targets a blood vessel. The rays then measure the amount of glucose in the bloodstream and return a reading in about 10 seconds. The new unit is still undergoing testing, with very low blood sugars, currently but is expected to be commercially available in about a year. Hmm. I love it.

We're going to become Fosters for the Basset and Beagle Rescue of the Heartland organization. Someday, I would love to form my own rescue non-profit for the sake of homeless and unwanted hounds -- Beagles, Bassets, Foxhounds, Coonhounds -- but for now, Fostering will have to do.

I guess that's it for now. 'Night all!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oooh! I want that new glucometer.

They found Herod's Tomb? Did they find the swimming pool? One article says that it was desecrated. The Tomb, not the pool.

My dog, Taarna, was black and white. She was a mutt. Of course, this was 20 years ago. No more dogs for me, though. No pets. The wench tells me that we will be traveling in our old age. :)

&