Friday, August 24, 2007

Good Amidst Evil

Usually, I feel very distanced from the violence in the rest of the world. For me, that is a good thing I suppose because I don't think I could live another day if I felt a raw connection to the suffering and senselessness that surround us.

Sometimes, however a particular story breaks through the wall I've built around myself, touches my soul, and affects me in a profound, lasting way. This is one of those stories.

This video clip moved me, angered me, and broke my heart and I couldn't keep from sobbing as I watched. This could be one of my little boys... in fact, he reminds me of Zachary in some ways. I can't remember feeling this much heartache over a story in a very long time.

When I read this follow-up piece, I cried again... only this time, the tears were joyful and my heart was filled with hope. There is still good in the world. Even in our darkest hours, the light of love and compassion and kindness shine through.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have to believe that in the end Good will prevail over evil. Its the only way we get through the day. If I thought about the fact that every time I left the house I could be killed by a drunk driver, I would never leave. This was great story I have followed it as well.
I believe there is more good that evil in this world, the problem is....the good sadly are the most lazy. How many times do we say "if everyone would just", but in the words of John Mayer, we all "wait for the world to change".