Wednesday, June 04, 2008

June Already?

The latest and greatest...

Over the last few months, we've worked with Kayley's teacher, a school psychologist, and a family therapist in attempting to find a definitive answer as to whether Kayley has ADHD. While there is no definitive answer possible, as it's impossible to see brain chemistry in action, all the "experts" are quite certain she has ADHD. In a sense, I feel relieved to a certain degree because now we know what we're dealing with and for me, it's always been easier when I can put a label on things. We're still seeing a family therapist once a week, and probably will continue that schedule for a couple more months at least. Our visit with the pediatrician is later this month and we'll see what he says about a double-blind medication study. If Kayley ends up taking meds, I'm leaning toward Strattera at this point because it's a newer, stimulant-free drug that is showing great promise in some kids. We'll see what the doctor thinks and weigh our options when the time comes.

Kayley was lucky enough to be offered a spot at the Pocatello Community Charter School. We put her name on the waiting list when we first arrived in Idaho and they called last week to offer her a spot for the upcoming school year. We visited the school again today for registration, met her "crew leader" or teacher, saw her classroom, toured the school, etc. It really is a phenomenal place and I'm incredibly excited for her to have the chance to attend. It'll be a different environment for her -- mixed grade classrooms, lots of fieldwork, school uniforms -- but they do soooooo many great things with the kids, I think she'll love it once she gets adjusted. As an example of the really cool things they do, get this! In the coming schoolyear, the third grade "crew" will spend a week camping in Yellowstone National Park learning about the ecosystem there. I was completey wow'ed (and jealous!)

We had Jesse's second MRI done in Salt Lake City in April and, whaddyaknow? His brain is perfectly normal according to their neurology team! Woo hoo! Turns out, after looking at the MRI scan he had done in Omaha, the SLC team said the first MRI was normal, too. While I am thrilled that he's healthy, I'm incredibly frustrated that we went through a year of tests, expenses, and worry over an MRI that had been misdiagnosed back in Omaha. So... where do we go from here? We're happy we have a healthy boy and are trying to move on with our lives but are also exploring the possibility of at least trying to recoup the medical costs we incurred after the initial incorrect diagnosis. More to come...

Obama will be our next President and, as a supporter from day one, I am thrilled about that. Will Clinton be the VP nominee? Hmmm....

We just got back from our first "fun" return trip to Omaha. It was nice to see our families again, but I was sick the entire week which put quite a damper on things. Not until the evening before we left did I feel better. Bummer. I was so disappointed that I didn't get to see more folks, not even my best friend, so I left feeling pretty sad. But, after the ugly, icky Omaha humidity, I was ready to come back to Idaho where it's nice and dry. Aaaah.

More later...

1 comment:

Heather said...

I don't want to see Clinton as VP, but I don't have any other suggestion, so I guess we'll have to see, won't we?