Sunday, April 01, 2007

Not Competitive Enough

Well, I received the letter from the University today. I wasn't accepted to the MSW program that I had applied to. I was placed on their waiting list and there is still a chance for admission, but I've decided not to hold my breath.

The optimistic side of my psyche is saying that there is a reason, albeit misunderstood or unknown, that I wasn't accepted this year and that one day I'll understand, there's always next year, I'm meant to do something else with my time right now, blah blah blah. Yet, I'm so discouraged. I had always wanted to be a veterinarian, but didn't get accepted at K-State and was added to their waiting list. Then there was the Wildlife Management MS program at the University of Lincoln that I wanted to apply to a couple years ago. To be considered for admission, you have to secure an Advisor first and, despite my best efforts, I couldn't find a single Professor who either had space in their lab or money in their budget or a project to work on or a willingness to take on another grad student. And now this disappointment makes three.

I know, I know... some of you may be wondering how one moves from Biology to Social Work. Read through a couple of the previous posts and perhaps it will make sense. Perhaps not. I'm simply tired of finding an interest and feeling passionate about something that I'd like to spend my life doing and being told that I can't make it happen when I want it to happen.

Guess I'm impatient (want what I want when I want it, damn it!) and whining and feeling sorry for myself a bit. There are worse things in life. It's a disappointment and I'll get through this one, too.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Don't despair, S. Waiting for fullness is.

:)