Friday, February 23, 2007

Taking the Plunge

After much thought and deliberation, I've finally decided to take the plunge and pursue a (sort of) new direction in life. I've submitted my application for graduate school at the University of Nebraska in pursuit of a Master of Social Work (MSW) degree. The application deadline is next week and I should have a decision from the Admissions Committee by the end of April.

I say this direction is "sort of" new because, while I've been involved with some aspect of social work for most of my life, I've usually been on the receiving end, have never studied it formally, and really hadn't considered it my calling until recently. I'm incredibly excited to have something so hopeful and positive in my life, something that is truly mine, something to feel passionate about again. It's been a long time since I've felt this kind of exhilaration!

Since I've had children, they have been my primary focus. They will continue to be my primary focus, but I really lost what was important to me in the busy-ness of everyday life. I lost my sense of self and I really haven't had anything that is mine for a number of years. I've learned, the hard way, that in order for me to be a wonderful mom, terrific wife, great friend, and a happy person, I have to take care of me. For the most part, I've been very neglectful of me (as I think many parents are) and, as a result, have continued to struggle with depression, apathy, lack of motivation, lack of interest, etc. It feels good to take care of me again. :)

No comments: