Monday, March 05, 2007

My Rant - I Am Angry

We had a blizzard blow through Omaha during the last few days. The streets were a mess, wrecks and abandoned cars all over the city. I ventured out to take my youngest son to the doctor and then stopped by the University of Nebraska to deliver my application packet to the School of Social Work. When it was time to leave and return home, I got stuck in the parking lot. I can't tell you how many people walked by my van, saw that I was stuck, made eye contact with me, and simply kept on walking. The grounds maintenance person who was driving around with a snowplow on the front of his little golf cart and a shovel in the back, he too simply looked at me and then looked away. A guy even came out of the campus apartments with a shovel and started walking toward the van. I thought he was going to be the good samaritan to stop and help, but he walked right on by and headed for his car, which was parked right next to mine. I have to say he did a fine job of digging his own car out. In the end, hubby and a couple of older gentlemen from the School of Social Work were able to push me out of the damn snow.

Bullies. Hate 'em. I hate the folks that threaten others for getting involved, for doing something they believe in. Fuck off, I say.

Why are we doing nothing to help the people of Darfur?

That is all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that you had that experience. We had just the opposite on a few occasions this last wintery weekend. mean people suck. I am sickend by the Darfur issues. AS a nation rating are soaring for the baby daddy battle with Anna Nicole Smith...nothing on the world suffering. May I ask, how are you participation in aiding the people of Darfur? I wouldn't know where to start, who to send what.....I am leery of internet sites with that "donate" button...help a sista out. :)

Defiantly Damned said...

I know what you mean about not knowing where to start -- I feel like that about so many issues. Typically, I just try to educate myself first. I've found a few good websites that are reputable where you can learn more, donate, petition the government, etc. I've either worked with these folks on Darfur-related issues or other human relations issues. You might try:

www.care.org/sudan
www.worldvision.org
www.unicefusa.org
www.genocideintervention.org
www.savedarfur.org
www.sudandivestment.org
www.standnow.org

Hope these help!